Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DIY Chalkboard!

When we lived in Fayetteville, there was this little thrift store around the corner. Before we moved I found a poster board frame there. I cant remember if it was .50c or $1, but it was no more than that and i knew I was going to turn it into a chalkboard. It has sat in storage until a few weeks ago. I pulled it out after looking on Pinterest and found this recipe for DIY chalkboard paint: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/02/how-to-mix-chalkboard-paint-in-any-color.html YAY for good ideas!

The issue was is it cheaper to buy Chalkboard spray paint ($5 at Home Depot) OR buy the above supplies ($8.95 total at Home Depot)....and what exactly was best? Spray paint or Paint? I decided spray paint may not be best. For one because there are a ton of factors that go into using it: Wind, your hand/steadiness, coverage and color (they only have black). Candice had asked for Pink and Lana for purple. With the paint, i can customize it and I can always re-paint if i mess up somehow. I went with the paint. :)

I went to Home Depot and looked at the paint. You only need 1/2c (it was PLENTY for doing a poster board size), so a sample would of been enough ($2.94), but they had "Oops Paint", where they I guess messed them up somehow for $2. They did have Pink and Purple, but it would of cost a bit more and been a bit more of a pain in the butt to do 1/2 and 1/2. I settled on a traditional greenish color. Then I went over to the bath section and I did have to ask someone where the Non-Sanded grout was, but it was with the tile stuff. They have colored non sanded for $12.97, but I got White Non Sanded for $5.47 (5lbs is the only size they had sadly). I did ask at the paint section if I should used a Paint Brush OR roller since its glass, they recommended a brush. That was .93c.

I came home and laid old newspaper down on the living room floor. Make sure you lay EXTRA, just in case. we rent so I wanted to be EXTRA careful! I used a plastic fork, bottle opener, old bowl, mixing spoon, and measuring cup. I followed the directions above. It does get lumpy as it dries in the bowl, but NOT on the painted surface. I spread on a thin 1st coat and will let it sit overnight to fully dry and then paint a 2nd coat tomorrow.

Overall? Easy and pretty fun! I wish it didnt take so long to dry and we could use it same day, but maybe if i paint it outside tomorrow (in 100o heat), it wont take long to dry and we can use it! As for where it is going inside? Its actually going to be hung on the side of the fridge! I will need to get velcro to hang it (i chose velcro so i can remove it/take it down if i want).




No comments: